Welcome To My Gebirgsjager Mountaineer Page Two.

Because of the amount of pictures I am having to use for this project, and the size that it has finally become. I have had to make a second page to show how I have put together this kitbash. Also hopefully it will help to load the pages faster, rather than having them all together on one page, which can cause problems for some browsers.


Something else that I have had to try to work out for the figure, is the other climbing equipment as shown in the main reference picture. Because the soldier has not only the hammer hanging from the front of the uniform, he also has some pitons on a rope as well. Which looking at it is a different diameter to the main rope that is around his shoulders, so to get this effect I am using another scale model rope I have here which is 1.5mm in size. Also to add other effect to the figure, the rope that I am using for the hammer is even smaller at 0.4mm in size, plus to get them all to hang right I am using the DiD metal hammer and pitons.

Rope Assembly

Working out the assembly of the climbing rope and how the figure will hold it, has been one of the items that I have been dreading doing because when I first started it all I did not realise just what I was getting myself into. Mainly because I had no idea about it apart from the main reference picture I have on the cover of my book. But with some very generous help, I have finally been able to work out how the ropes are tied together.

 

Because with the tutorial that want to use, which I have included on my Knots page. I now have a lot better idea about how to assemble them together, and as shown on the right it is all done with one single rope, rather than the two that I thought it was. So this has again has diverted me away slightly from my original idea of the main reference picture.

Pitons and Rope Assembly

Below are some views of how I have used the information on my Knots pages, to put together the harness for my kitbash. And once I had it worked out by following the tutorial, I was surprised at how easy it actually was to put together.

 

Is a front view of the figure with the "Jägerknoten mit Schulterschlinge" which is also shown on the right. But the problem is that I have been told that I got the position of the main harness wrong, as it is too low and it is around the waist.

 

Whereas in the other picture I have altered it and now it is in the correct position higher up on the chest, which is more like the original reference picture. Also the ropes for the hammer and pitons have been changed as well, so that they are now over the top of the main harness and not under it.

1.    2.


Figure Assembly

 

The pictures above are of the figure in the planning stages, as I needed to decide on the diorama for it along with working out how the figure would look on the model. The first four pictures on the left, are of the diorama that I have built for this figure. The other pictures are of how I have set the pose with the climbing rope.

Various pictures of the finished figure and diorama

With the figure here I have finally got around to setting the pose for it, and now finally I can class the figure and the diorama as finished.

The only thing that I have left to do, is to decide which of the pictures I have looking down a mountain that I want to use on the base.


Adding the picture to the diorama

The last part of this diorama I had to do was to add the photo to the base, and the only way that I could think of doing it was by making a paper template as shown in picture 1. Note: I should have done this before I set the rock face and ledge onto the base.

1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7.  

Because I have given myself a lot more work now with both making the template to lay over the photograph, plus also as shown in picture 2.

I now also have to cut under the ledge and the cork bark, to make a slot so that I can slide the edge of the photo under it, so that I don't have to cut it to the exact shape of the ledge. Picture 3. shows how I have gradually been able to get the template under the cork bark, and from this I will draw around the edge to get a better shape. The next pictures show how I will use the template to cut out the shape from the photograph. Note: It took me a while to work this out, and what part of the picture I wanted plus I wasted a few sheets of paper doing this.

It also took a while for me to work out how to print a Borderless photo as well

 

Picture 4. shows another template I made that fits onto the base, and slots under the cork bark. The part of the photo that it covers up, is the part that I have to cut out to put onto the base. Picture 5. shows what the cork bark will cover up in the photo, and the image that is left showing is what the picture will look like on the open flat base. Note: It also took a while for me to work out how to print a Borderless photo as well

8. 9. 10. 11.

Picture 8. 9. 10. shows & 11. shows how I have tried the different background scenes for the base. And out of them all I am thinking of using picture 11. The main reason for this is that the mountains in the photograph, are the closest to the cork bark colour.

I can finally now put the diorama on my shelf, as the above pictures are of the finished kitbash with the photograph in place. What has surprised me is how different it looks, to what I had pictured in my mind at the start of this.


I cannot thank Heeresbergführer enough for all of the superb pictures, and the very detailed help with this Gebirgsjager figure.

 

Top of Page