Welcome To My German Torn.Fu.d2 Radio Page Two.

 

Alternative Radio Aerial

 

After seeing the Dragon Walter Schmidt figure, I had the above images supplied to me by Heeresbergführer to show the 'X' part of the aerial in place. As well as the information below:

 

The antenna for the Torn. Fu. d2 came in sections like tent poles...the '+' being a small section to connect into.

 

In the pictures I found above, they are of the radio unit with the different top to the aerial. So this gave me an idea to make a new aerial for the radio for my next kitbash as an experiment, rather than see if I can buy the radio units and aerial loose.

1. 2.

1. To make the top cross part of the aerial, I first had to glue two strips of 1.5mm x 2.5mm plastic together, because at the time I did not have any other material available. 2. This shows the strip sanded by hand to a round shape.

 

Note: Since I do not have the full size measurement of the 'X' part of the aerial top, I used a bit of 'Modellers Licence' to get these sizes. I then measured out an overall length of the strip at 300mm, I then marked the strip at 150mm and cut it in half.

 

Note: This was sanded to about a 3mm to 4mm round shape, which is roughly the same diameter of the main aerial for the Torn radio.

3. 4.

 

3. Shows where I put each round strip next to each other, measured each one and marked the middle of them at 75mm. Keeping them both level I then used my round needle file, to make the recess as shown. Note: Be careful doing this as you want to only file halfway through each strip. Because as shown in pictures 4. & 5. you want each one to slot into the other, so that when the strips are laid flat they are level on the work bench.

 5. 6. 7.

Picture 6. shows where I have used a piece of sprue from the kit, sanded it to a better round shape and then with my modelling knife and needle files made a hole in the centre. This is then glued into position on the underneath of the 'X' part of the aerial.  Picture 7. shows the aerial from the kit test fitted into the hole, to both check for the size and that it will hold the top part in place.

8.  9.

In the next two pictures, 8. shows where I have made a mark of 10mm from the centre on each arm, and 9. shows another mark 30mm from the end of the arms.

 

The reason for this is shown in the picture on the right, of what I believe are some the extension poles that go together to make the 'X' part of the aerial. And that at the top of each of them they have a ridge, to plug in the next extension. So to represent this on the aerial extension that I am making, at each of the marks I will glue onto each arm a thin strip of plastic strip.

 

Note: This is not meant to be exact, but my best attempt that I can do at getting the ridges to look evenly spaced on each arm.

 

 10.   11.  

Picture 10. is of the 'X' aerial part with the ridges glued in place, and the whole part sanded to remove any glue marks. Picture 11. is of the same part before I paint it.

12.  13.

In picture 12. I have painted the aerial and also given it a wash over with some Dark Brown pastel chalks to help show the edges of the ridges. Picture 13. is of the finished top part of the aerial in place.

Finished Radio Units

The radio units were again posed on the rubble diorama, to show the completed radio and aerial top in place.


Many thanks to David (Actionman) for the help with the battery labels.

Many thanks to (Seeing the Unseeable) for originally making the battery labels

Many thanks to (Sgt Shultz II) for all his help with how he detailed his radio sets.

Many thanks to David and Colonel Blimp for pointing me to a UK source for the lenses for the radio.

Top of Page